International Tourism to Canada on the Rise
In 2018, international overnight arrivals to Canada reached a new height of 21.13 million visitors, surpassing the record level previously achieved in 2017 by 1.2% and breaking the 21 million mark for the first time ever.
While total arrivals from Destination Canada’s long-haul markets in 2018 remained on par with 2017, several key markets reached new milestones.
China, France, and Mexico surpassed the 700K, 600K, and 400K marks, respectively, for annual visitors to Canada for the first time in 2018. Meanwhile, India climbed to our 7th largest inbound market.
MAKING SENSE OF WEB ANALYTICS
◉ Why website data is so important
◉ What data should you track
◉ How to track and report
◉ What to do with the data
In 2016, 7.8 million visitors spent $817 million in the region, the total tourism employment impact was 7,078 jobs and there were 6,645 tourism-related businesses in operation.
This document offers a summary of the performance of the tourism industry for the years 2016 through 2018; it includes trends over the previous years and other analyses on the key indicators that offer market intelligence and insights about the state of the industry.
- In 2015, there were 142 million visits in Ontario and these visitors spent $25.4 billion.
- Tourism receipts reached $32.3 billion; generated $30.9 billion for Ontario’s GDP, contributed $4.9 billion in provincial taxes and supported 388,954 jobs.
- Tourism is Ontario’s 7th largest international export bringing to the province $9.1 billion in foreign exchange.
- Ontario is the largest travel destination in Canada. Ontario received 40.4% of all visitors to Canada and 37.1% of the country’s total visitor spending in 2015.
- 6% of visitors came from the U.S., however, they had the lowest expenditure per person, and it is through the sheer volume of U.S. visitors that makes them #1
- Chinese visitors are spending the most and staying the longest among international visitors, spending around $2400 per person, and staying an average of 8.9 nights.